Individual Thai Meatloaves with Stir-Fried Vegetables
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 35 minutes / Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes 2 servings meatloaf and 4 servings vegetables
- For the meatloaves:*
- ½ lb. ground pork
- 1 egg
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and very finely minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari
- 1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste OR Sriracha OR gochujang
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the vegetables: (have all ingredients prepped before you begin cooking)
- ¼ cup gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons vegetable OR chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste OR Sriracha OR gochujang, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 bell peppers, any color, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled, halved through the root-end, and cut through the root-end into slices about ¼” thick
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 small zucchini, cut on the diagonal into ½” thick pieces
- To finish:
- ¼ cup roughly chopped cilantro
- lime wedges, for serving
- ½ cup chopped toasted cashews**
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, gently combine all of the meatloaf ingredients except the salt. Divide into 2 even portions and transfer each to the baking sheet.
- Form into two ovals about 1” thick, gently patting them together so they hold their shape, but without compacting the mixture too much. Sprinkle the tops evenly with the salt. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meatloaf registers a temperature of 155 to 160°.
- While the meatloaves bake, make the stir-fry: in a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the tamari, broth, and cornstarch until well-combined. Add the curry paste, honey, ginger and garlic and whisk well. Set the sauce aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the carrots, peppers, and onions and cook, stirring often, for 4 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the reserved sauce, stir, and bring to a boil. Cook 1-2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and coats the vegetables. Remove from the heat.
- Place 1 meatloaf and 1 heaping cup vegetables on each of two plates. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cilantro and serve with lime wedges for dinner.
- Stir the cashews into the remaining vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and package into airtight containers for tomorrow’s lunches. Refrigerate until needed.
*Want some dinner-insurance in the freezer? Double the meatloaf ingredients, make and bake four meatloaves, and freeze two, tightly wrapped, for up to two months. Defrost in the refrigerator the night before using, and reheat in the oven or microwave.
**To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!