Italian Bean- and-Greens Squash Noodles with Tomato-Cucumber Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 15-20 minutes / Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Serves 2, with leftovers for lunch
- 1 lb. zucchini or summer squash, spiralized or peeled into wide “noodles” 1 teaspoon fine sea salt 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and sliced into thin half-moons
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 small head escarole, chopped (substitute Swiss Chard or Lacinato Kale, if desired)
- 2 cans cannellini beans, drained over a bowl, liquid reserved
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Tomato-Cucumber Salad:
- 1/2 lb. heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped OR 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, halved, seeded, and cut into 1” half-moons
- 6 tablespoons Pesto Vinaigrette
- Place the squash noodles in a colander in the sink and toss with salt. Let drain while you prepare the beans and greens.
- Heat coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic, escarole, and red pepper flakes. If the pan is dry, add a splash of water. Cook, stirring, until the escarole is wilted, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans and turn heat to low.
- Gently squeeze out some of the liquid from the squash (it does not need to be dry). Add squash to escarole mixture, along with nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup bean liquid. Using tongs, toss gently to combine ingredients. Add more bean liquid to make a creamier sauce, if desired. Cook until squash is warmed through, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, add olive oil, and gently toss to combine.
- While the squash is heating, prepare the Tomato-Cucumber Salad by combining all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Divide the noodles and salad into fourths, placing one serving on each of two plates.
- Pack remaining noodles and salad in an airtight container for lunch tomorrow.