Keto Scones with Chia Jam
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings scones and 4 servings jam, plus leftover jam
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 10 drops liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup coconut milk, plus more if needed
- 2 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup ghee, to brush the scones
- Chia Jam:
- 3 apples, cored and chopped into smaller pieces
- ½ cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking tray with all natural parchment paper.
- Combine flours, baking powder, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together eggs, stevia, vanilla, coconut milk, and coconut oil in a separate mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to fully incorporate. The dough should be slightly crumbly (you may need to add a little bit more coconut milk if the dough seems too dry).
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Shape dough into 8 scones on your prepared baking tray. Brush with melted ghee using a pastry brush or a spoon and clean hands.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Make your jam while the scones are baking. Heat apples in a stock pot over mediumlow heat until soft and juicing, about 20 minutes. Start to break down the apples with your spoon or spatula as they soften.
- Add apples to a mixing bowl and mash with a fork until as smooth or chunky as you like. Add water, lemon juice, cinnamon, and ginger, and mix well (for a super smooth consistency, use an immersion blender).
- Add chia seeds and mix well. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate until needed.
- When the scones are done baking, let them cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, for breakfast this week.
- To serve, enjoy 2 blueberry scones (warmed up or toasted, if desired) sliced in half and topped with 1-2 tablespoons jam each.
- Leftover jam can be frozen, or eaten as a substitute snack topped with nuts.