Lacinato Kale and Roasted Squash Salad with Pecan Dressing
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 25 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings, plus leftover salad dressing
- 2 small Delicata squash, scrubbed, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, sliced into ½” thick half-moons
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, melted
- pinch each fine sea salt, ground black pepper, and cinnamon
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 lb. lacinato kale (about 2 bunches), stems removed, leaves thinly sliced
- 2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup goji berries
- ¾ cup toasted* pecans, chopped, divided
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, toss squash with coconut oil, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to coat.
- Transfer squash to baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until squash is tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place onion slices in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside to let onions mellow a bit while you prepare the salad.
- In a large bowl, toss kale, goat cheese, goji berries, and ¼ cup pecan pieces to combine. Set aside.
- In a mini-food processor or blender, combine vinegar, maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon salt, and olive oil and blend until emulsified. Add ½ cup pecans and pulse until chopped; you are looking for an uneven texture of differently-sized pieces.
- Drain onions and pat dry.
- Divide kale mixture into 4 servings, (two should be in airtight containers for lunches) and top each serving with ¼ of the onions, squash and 2 tablespoons dressing (two dressings on the side). Serve one salad per person for dinner tonight and refrigerate the remaining salads for lunches tomorrow.
- Store leftover dressing at room temperature.
*To toast nuts, add raw nuts to a small skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until the nuts take on a golden color and start to smell “nutty.” Watch carefully; they burn quickly.