Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Cool Time: Overnight
Makes 12 servings
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, softened and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (see lemon zest in filling below)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- Zest from 3 lemons (minus 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch/flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F with a rack in the middle position. Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish with all natural parchment paper, letting the excess parchment hang over the sides of the pan.
- Prepare the shortbread crust. Mix together the butter and sugar until they are completely combined.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, lemon zest, and salt to the bowl. Mix with a spoon just until all of the flour is incorporated and the mixture comes together into a dough. The dough will seem fairly crumbly, but should hold together when squished in your hand.
- Press the dough into the baking dish. Use the bottom of a spoon to make sure the layer is as compacted as possible and in an even layer. Prick with a fork all over. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges of the shortbread turn golden-brown.
- While the shortbread crust is baking, prepare the lemon curd. Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon juice and zest, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until starting to simmer. Add arrowroot and whisk until the mixture begins to thicken. This should occur within 45 seconds.
- When the shortbread crust is ready, remove it from the oven and pour the curd over top. Put the pan back in the oven and bake at 350°F until the edges of the curd are set, but the middle is still jiggly, 10-20 minutes.
- Cool completely on the counter and then cover and refrigerate overnight. To slice, run a knife around the edge of the bars and then lift them onto a cutting board using the flaps of parchment paper. Use a knife to cut straight down into bars; wipe the knife clean between cuts (12 bars).
- Refrigerate 6 bars and freeze the rest. Defrost as needed by allowing bars to thaw to room temperature in the refrigerator overnight. This batch will be enjoyed week 2 Days 1, 4, and 7, week 3 Days 2 and 5, and week 4 Day 7.