Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
Active Time: 5 minutes
Makes 1 cup
Chef’s Tip: Making Dressings in your Food Processor
If you would like an emulsified or “creamy” appearance for your dressings, make them in a food processor. Place all ingredients except for oil in your processor. Begin to process and add oil slowly in a steady stream.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Zest of 1 lemon (use a small grater to remove just the thin, colored yellow skin of the fruit. Leave behind the soft, white pith that lies underneath)
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 2 teaspoons minced shallots (or 1 small bulb, peeled, if using a food processor*)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil* (or whole leaves if using a food processor)
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Place all ingredients in a mason jar and shaking vigorously**.
*Have leftover basil to use up this week? Add it in Day 5 to the kale pesto or as a pizza topping, chop and garnish Day 2 & 4 breakfasts, or add it in to Day 2’s dinner salad.