Lemon Rosemary Chicken Kebobs with Greek Quinoa Pilaf
Active Time: 30-35 minutes / Cook Time: 40-45 minutes / Total Time: 55-60 minutes (plus marinating time for the chicken)
Makes 4 servings
- 8 (8-10 inch) skewers; soaked at least one hour if wooden
- Zest and juice of a lemon, zest reserved for pilaf, plus extra wedges for serving, if desired
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into 1 ½ to 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1 ½ inch rounds
Greek Quinoa Pilaf:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano, or to taste
- ½ cup chopped Kalamata olives
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup crushed almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, rosemary, salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and olive oil. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. After marinating time, thread chicken alternating with zucchini onto skewers, starting and ending with chicken. Set aside—the counter is fine if you are making the quinoa/eating right away, otherwise, place back in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium, or oven to 450° F. Combine quinoa, water, and oregano in a medium saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until water is absorbed, 20-25 minutes. While quinoa cooks, prep the rest of the pilaf ingredients. When the quinoa is done, stir in reserved lemon zest, olives, tomatoes, almonds, and black pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- If grilling, place skewers on grill and cook, turning occasionally so all sides cook evenly, for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If baking, transfer skewers to a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment and bake 20 minutes, flipping once, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Place ¼ of pilaf and two skewers on each of two plates, along with lemon wedges, if desired. Pack the rest of the pilaf and skewers for lunch tomorrow.