Mediterranean Chicken & Vegetable Sauté with Roasted Potatoes
Active Time: 35 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Corner: Olive Oil Uses
Because olive oil has a low smoke point, it easily oxidizes (goes bad) when exposed to heat. Consuming damaged oils has negative effects on our health. For this reason, olive oil is perfect in salad dressing , cold soups, and for drizzling on top of cooked foods, but should not be heated.
- 1 ½ tablespoons ghee OR coconut oil, melted and divided
- 1 lb. small red or yellow potatoes, scrubbed and quartered (or cut into eighths, if larger)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1-1 ¼ lbs. chicken breast, cut into 1” wide strips (you can also use tenders)
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved, and sliced into thin half-moons
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 1 large yellow OR orange bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard OR lacinato kale, about 1 lb., stemmed and chopped (feel free to dice the stems and add them with the onion and peppers)
- ¼ cup sliced fresh basil
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss ½ tablespoon ghee, potatoes, and ¼ teaspoon salt together on the parchment paper and spread in a single layer. Roast, stirring once, 20-25 minutes or until tender and starting to brown.
- While the potatoes roast, heat ½ tablespoon ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add ½ tablespoon ghee to the same skillet, along with the peppers, onions, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the chard or kale leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted. Add the chicken back to the pan and cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Place ¼ of the potatoes and ¼ of the chicken and vegetable mixture on each of two plates. Sprinkle each plate with 1 tablespoon basil and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add black pepper to taste and serve with lemon wedges.
- Package remaining potatoes and chicken mixture in airtight containers for lunches tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed.