Mini-Meatloaves with Roasted Cabbage
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 45-50 minutes / Total Time: 60-70 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Chef’s Tip: To eat the core of roasted cabbage or not? This chef’s spouse enjoys the roasted core of the cabbage when it has become tender. This chef does not. Do as you prefer!
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, very finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, very finely diced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- ½ lb. ground turkey
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 medium head green cabbage (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 teaspoon fennel OR caraway seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- While the vegetables cook, add the vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until reduced by about ½. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, beef, ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon black pepper, egg, ¼ cup parmesan, and thyme. Set aside.
- Cut cabbage in half through the core. Tightly wrap half of the cabbage for week four, and store in the refrigerator. Cut the remaining half of the cabbage into four ½”-1” thick slices, keeping the core as intact as possible to hold the slices together. Place on one of the baking sheets.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the meat and combine well. Divide into four even portions and transfer to the other baking sheet. Pat each into an oval about 1 ½ inches thick. Place in oven and cook 15 minutes. Brush with glaze and cook another 15-20 minutes, or until internal temperature is 160°F, brushing with glaze every 5 minutes.
- While the meatloaf cooks, coat both sides of cabbage with coconut oil. Sprinkle both sides evenly with remaining salt, pepper, and fennel seeds, if using. Place cabbage in oven with meatloaf. program
- When meatloaf is done, remove from oven and let sit 10-15 minutes. Increase oven heat to 450°F and cook cabbage until it is browning around the edges and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle evenly with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serve 1 mini-meatloaf and 1 slice of cabbage per person for dinner. Package remaining meatloaves and cabbage slices in two individual containers with airtight lids for lunch tomorrow.