Moroccan-style Vegetable Stew with Quinoa
Active Time: 20-25 minutes / Cook Time: 20-25 minutes / Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Corner: Cinnamon
Cinnamon is an excellent source of antioxidants, contains anti-inflammatory properties, and can help balance blood sugar levels. There are two main types of cinnamon used today: Ceylon cinnamon and Cassia cinnamon. While Cassia cinnamon is more common, I opt for Ceylon cinnamon because it has been shown to contain more of cinnamon’s health promoting compounds.
- For the quinoa:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the stir-fry:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, virgin or refined
- 2 bell peppers: one green; one red, orange, or yellow, seeded and sliced vertically into ½” thick pieces
- 1 jalapeño, seeded if desired, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, halved and sliced into thin half-moons
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1-8 oz. can no-sodium tomato sauce
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried apricots, halved
- 1 cup pitted dates, halved
- coconut milk leftover from Cauliflower Soup, about ¾ cup
- 10 oz. baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup roasted, salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Make the quinoa: Add the quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, stir, cover, and let sit until needed.
- While the quinoa cooks: Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted, stir in peppers, jalapeño, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are beginning to soften, 6-8 minutes.
- Add cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, chickpeas, apricots, and dates and stir. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and spinach and cook until spinach is fully wilted.
- Serve ¼ of the quinoa and the stew per person, topped with 1 tablespoon each parsley and pistachios.
- Package the remaining quinoa, stew, and toppings in airtight containers and refrigerate for lunch tomorrow.