Pickled Green Beans
Active Time: 15 minutes / Cool Time: 3-4 hours
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Corner: Vinegar
Vinegars have been shown to offer several different health benefits including blood sugar support. Specifically, consuming vinegar decreases glucose in the blood by preventing the complete digestion of complex carbohydrates, slowing stomach emptying, and increasing the uptake of glucose in cells. Healthy blood sugar levels in turn can facilitate weight loss and support energy throughout the day.
- 2 pounds green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place green beans into 2 quart-sized mason jars.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium high heat, add vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds, bay leaf, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour hot pickling brine over cut vegetables until just submerged. Keep on counter until liquid cools naturally (3-4 hrs).
- Cover and refrigerate.