Active Time: 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Corner: Halvah
A rich Middle Eastern delicacy made from sesame seeds and sugar. Our recipe adds a nutritional boost by swapping sugar for raw honey. This dessert can truly be enjoyed guilt free!
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup raw honey, liquid form or soft
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- Add sesame seeds and sea salt to the bowl of a food processor. Process on high until seeds start to release their oils and a crumbly paste consistency forms. This may take several minutes. Scrap down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add vanilla and honey and process until combined, 30 seconds.
- Line a small square dish (a 5 x 5 works well) with parchment paper, allowing all edges to hang over the side of the dish.
- Sprinkle pistachios evenly over the top and use clean hands to press the halvah evenly into the dish.
- Refrigerate until needed, at least 4 hours.
- To serve, remove the halvah from the dish by pulling up on the parchment paper. Cut into six pieces. Store in the fridge.