Pizza Night! Caramelized Onions, Figs, and Arugula
Active Time: 40 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus leftover rosemary oil, balsamic reduction, and caramelized onions
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- 2 medium yellow onion, chopped into half moons
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed from the stem
- 3 fresh figs, quartered (or substitute 5 dried figs)
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 2 cups arugula
- 3 medium zucchini, grated (4 cups)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup goat cheese (2 ounces), crumbled
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a medium nonreactive saucepan until bubbling (turn on your kitchen fan if you have one!) Keep at a low simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly. When it coats the back of a spoon, and is reduced by about a 1/3, it is ready. It will thicken up more as it cools. Let cool and then transfer to a Mason jar and store in the fridge for several hours.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until bubbling. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to the lowest setting, cover, and let onions cook for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally. I usually check on the onions every 15 minutes or so, and quickly mix them each time. The onions are caramelized when they are sweet and browned, but not burnt.
- Combine olive oil and rosemary in a small bowl and set aside while you make the rest of dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 500° F. If you have a pizza stone, have it in the oven. If not, place an upside-down baking sheet in the oven. Place a sheet of parchment on the counter, large enough to hold a 12” pizza.
- Toss the zucchini and salt in a colander; set in the sink to drain for 10-15 minutes. Prep your topping ingredients while you wait. Transfer zucchini to paper towel and gently squeeze to soak up any remaining water.
- Place the zucchini, nutritional yeast, goat cheese, almond flour, thyme, and garlic in a large bowl and toss with your hands to combine. Add the egg and incorporate well.
- Place the zucchini mixture on the parchment and using your hands, spread it to form a circle about 1/3” thick. Make the outer edges a little thicker, to act as a barrier for the ingredients. Transfer the parchment to the heated pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown. Carefully remove the crust from the oven by sliding it onto a large cutting board. Lower the oven to 350.
- Add a thin layer of rosemary oil and use a spatula to evenly coat the crust. Top with figs and crumbled goat cheese. Return to the oven and bake an additional 4-5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove from oven and top with arugula and a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Cut into 4-6 slices and enjoy.
- If you have 2 remaining pizza slices, package them up for lunch tomorrow.
- Store leftover rosemary oil on the counter, leftover balsamic reduction in the fridge, and leftover caramelized onions in the fridge, to use with lunch tomorrow.