Pizza Night! Nacho Pizza with Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 15-20 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- For the crust:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups cornmeal, preferably medium grind
- ½ cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, very finely minced
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- For the toppings and salad:
- 1 cup refried beans, black OR pinto
- ½ cup salsa, divided
- 1 cup shredded Tex-Mex blend OR pepper Jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 5 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup halved cherry OR grape tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, and thinly sliced, divided
- ¼ cup diced red onion, divided
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, divided
- ¼ cup Orange Basil Vinaigrette (If you did not make this on Prep Day, see the Other tab for the recipe.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl. Mix in remaining crust ingredients until wellcombined. Spread evenly on the baking sheet into an approximately 9 x 11-inch oval (a silicone spatula or off-set spatula will make this easier). Bake the crust until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, stir together the refried beans and ¼ cup salsa; it’s fine to use the bowl from the crust. (The beans may be easier to work with if you heat them first; the microwave is fine for this.)
- Spread the bean and salsa mixture evenly onto the crust to within ½” of the edge. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Top the pizza with 2 cups romaine lettuce, the remaining ¼ cup salsa, ½ of the avocado slices, 2 tablespoons red onion, and the chopped cilantro. Cut into 8 pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the remaining cup of romaine with the mixed greens, tomatoes, ½ cup avocado slices, and 2 tablespoons red onion.
- Serve 2 pieces of pizza per person for dinner, along with 2 cups of salad per person. Drizzle each salad with 1 tablespoon vinaigrette.
- Package remaining pizza, salad, and dressing in airtight containers for lunches tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed.