Pizza Night! Tomato, Basil, and Shredded Zucchini with Arugula Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 35-40 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- For the Crust:
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- For the Topping:
- 2 ½ lbs. summer squash, shredded
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and diced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced basil
- For the Arugula Salad:
- 4 cups arugula
- ½ medium red onion, very thinly sliced (save the rest for Day 7)
- ¼ cup dry roasted almonds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- pinch each of fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil, to taste
- In a colander, toss shredded squash with 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt. Set in sink to drain until needed.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Put mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium microwavesafe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, and then microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Stir almond flour into cheese mixture, and then add eggs and oregano. The eggs will resist combining, but keep at it! If the dough seems “stringy,” microwave another 20 seconds and stir.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, wet your hands, dump the crust onto the baking sheet (reserve the bowl), and spread the crust into a rectangle about 1/8” thick. Keep your hands lightly moistened to facilitate spreading. Poke the crust all over with a fork and sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Place crust in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Check to see if the crust is bubbling up; if so, pop the bubbles with a fork. Continue baking for 6-7 more minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned. Remove from oven, top with another piece of parchment, and very carefully (it’s hot!) flip the crust over. Remove what was the bottom sheet of parchment and discard.
- While crust is baking, place shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel and wring it out. You want the zucchini as dry as possible. Add it to the bowl you mixed the crust in and toss with nutritional yeast and ½ teaspoon thyme. Spread the zucchini mixture to within ½” of the crust edges, sprinkle with diced tomatoes, and bake 20-25 minutes or until the zucchini is lightly browned in spots. Sprinkle with the basil.
- While pizza is baking, in a small bowl, whisk together honey, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Cut pizza into 10 slices. Serve 3 slices per person for dinner, along with 1 cup of arugula, 2 tablespoons onion, 1 tablespoon almonds, and a quarter of the dressing per serving.
- Package up remaining pizza and salad for lunch Day 7.