Poached Egg, Grilled Veggie Hash & Chive Oil
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus leftover chive oil
Chef’s Tip: Chive oil, or any herb oil, is delicious as a substitute for plain olive oil in salad dressings and adds lots of flavor to simply cooked proteins and vegetables. Store tightly sealed in the refrigerator.
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped (about 6-8 oz.)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped (about 4-6 oz.)
- 3 plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- Dash of fine sea salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- Combine olive oil and chives in a blender and blend until chives are broken down. Let sit while you make the rest of breakfast.
- Bring 2 cups water and vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Melt oil or ghee in a medium skillet (that has a lid) over medium heat. Sauté bell pepper and zucchini until tender, 6-8 minutes. Add tomatoes, spinach, and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir to combine, cook one minute, and then cover and turn off the heat.
- To poach your eggs, adjust heat so that your water is simmering gently. Carefully crack each egg into the water and cook 2-3 minutes, or until the whites firm up.
- Transfer half of the vegetable hash and one egg to each of two plates. Strain the chive oil through a fine mesh strainer into a clean storage container. Drizzle 1 to 2 teaspoons over each plate, and serve.