Poached Egg, Spinach & Asparagus Tartine with almond flour bread loaf
Active Time: 20 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Eggs
Eggs are one of nature’s perfect foods. But not all eggs are created equal. Eggs from organic pastured chickens have been shown to contain a different nutritional profile than eggs from conventionally raised chickens. Because the nutrients found in eggs depends on what the hens themselves are eating, eggs from pastured hens contain higher amounts of vitamins and anti-inflammatory Omega 3's. In addition, a clearer understanding of how dietary cholesterol impacts blood cholesterol suggests that there is no need to worry about the amount of cholesterol found in egg yolks. Food is best consumed in its natural, whole state, so don't miss out on eating whole eggs, including the yolk, which contains all of an egg's healthy Omega 3's and vitamins A, D, E, and K.
- 4 slices almond flour bread loaf (from week 1)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee
- 2 cups spinach, packed
- 4 asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 3” bites
- Dash of fine sea salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
- Bring 2 cups water and vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- Prepare a separate steamer by filling the bottom compartment with 2” water and setting it over medium-high heat. Place the steaming compartment (or steaming basket) over the water and cover.
- Toast your bread on the stove in a dry pan. You can also use a toaster, just be gentle with the bread, as it is delicate and will break apart easily. Set 2 pieces of toast on each serving plate.
- Once steaming, add asparagus, cover, and cook until bright green and tender, about 7 minutes. Add spinach during the last 30 seconds of steaming.
- Remove vegetables from the steamer and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- To poach your eggs, adjust heat so that your water is simmering gently. Carefully crack each egg into the water and cook 2-3 minutes, or until the whites firm up.
- While your eggs are cooking, plate your meal by topping each piece of toast with spinach and asparagus.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove poached eggs and place 1 on top of each tartine.