Poached Eggs and Home Sweet Home Fries
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 15-16 minutes / Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 sweet potato, about 8 oz., peeled and diced
- ¼ cup chopped onion, preferably red pinch paprika (optional)
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Dash each of fine sea salt and pepper
- Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, 4-6 minutes or until just starting to soften.
- Add the onion, paprika, cayenne, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper to the pan and cook, stirring often, until both onions and potatoes are tender and a bit browned around the edges, about 5-7 minutes more.
- Bring 2 cups water and vinegar to a boil in a small sauce pan.
- To poach your eggs, adjust heat so that your water is simmering gently. Stir the water so that it is spinning gently, carefully crack each egg into the center of the spinning water* and cook 2-3 minutes, or until the whites firm up.
- Place ½ of the home fries on each of two plates and top with eggs
*Alternatively, you can crack each egg into small ramekins and, holding the ramekin close to the surface at the center of the spinning water, add the eggs one at a time.