Poached Eggs in Zucchini-Potato Nests
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 15 minutes / Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 quart water
- 4 eggs
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large russet potato, shredded
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Fine sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring water and lemon juice to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Toss zucchini with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a colander in the sink. Let sit while you shred the potatoes and slice the scallions.
- With your hands, squeeze as much liquid from zucchini as you can, and toss to combine with shredded potato, scallion, and ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat. Divide into four equal portions and scoop each portion into the skillet in the shape of a pancake. Cook 4-5 minutes on the first side, gently flip (they’ll be fragile, since there is no binder), and use a spoon to form an indentation in the top. Cook another 4-5 minutes.
- While the zucchini and potato nests cook, gently add cracked eggs to water and let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and pat on a kitchen towel to remove any excess water.
- Place two nests on each of two plates, and set an egg into the indentation in each nest. Add salt and pepper to taste.