Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 40-45 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 2 ½” strips lemon peel
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- pinch ground allspice
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups apple cider
- ½ cup water
- 4 pears, preferably Bosc, peeled, left whole and cored from the bottom*
- Combine lemon peel, spices, cider, and water in a large saucepan and add pears. Cut a circle of wax paper slightly larger than the circumference of the pan and press it down onto the pears—this will help prevent discoloring.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then lower until just simmering. Cook, turning pears occasionally (lift wax paper and turn pears with tongs to protect your fingers from any steam) until the pears are easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife but still holding their shape, about 20 minutes. Remove pears to four airtight containers and set aside.
- Bring the cider mixture to a boil over high heat and reduce to a syrup, about 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick. Pour syrup over pears. If preparing ahead of time, store all 4 servings in the fridge to enjoy Days 2 and
- If preparing on Day 2, enjoy 1 serving per person now, and store the remaining 2 servings in the fridge.
*A melon-baller will make quick work of the cores, but a paring knife works, too.