Pork Chops with Cabbage and Apples
Active Time: 25-30 minutes Cook Time: 65 minutes Total Time: 70 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 2-1/2” thick bone-in pork chops
- pinch each fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, halved, and sliced into thin half-moons
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ head of small cabbage, any type, cored and thinly sliced (4-6 cups) (reserve the other half for Day 6)
- 1 large apple, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into ½” wedges
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon ghee over medium-high heat. Evenly sprinkle pork chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Sear pork chops 3-4 minutes per side, or until chops release easily from the pan. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat under the skillet and add 1 tablespoon ghee to the same pan. Add onions, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, 5-6 minutes, or until onions begin to soften.
- Add cabbage to skillet and stir. Cook until the cabbage is wilted and beginning to look translucent, 6-8 minutes. Add apples and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Nestle pork chops into the cabbage mixture and cover the pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer 35-45 minutes, or until pork chops are tender. If it looks like the pan is drying out, add ½ cup water. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Divide half of cabbage onto each of two plates, top each with a pork chop, and enjoy!