Pork Stir-fry with Broccoli Rice
Active Time: 45-50 minutes / Cook Time: 10-15 minutes / Total Time: 50-55 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Corner: Cucumber
Cucumbers contain a unique assortment of phytonutrients, including cucurbitacins, lignans, and flavonoids. These nutrients provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer benefits. When eating cucumbers, remember that the nutrient value of the skin and seeds is actually higher than that of the flesh. Being able to take advantage of the full nutrient value of produce by eating the skin is an excellent reason to buy organic. If buying conventionally grown cucumbers, we recommend peeling them.
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon raw honey, runny (run under hot water if your honey is too solid)
- ½ cup lime juice (from 6-8 limes)
- 2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar OR rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce OR 2 teaspoons gluten-free tamari and 1 teaspoon vegetable broth
- half of a jalapeño, seeded and minced
- ¾ lb. broccoli, stems peeled and roughly chopped and crown broken into florets
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, halved, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. pork tenderloin, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into ¼” pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced, divided
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, divided*
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 cup quartered, sliced cucumber
- In a medium bowl, combine water and honey and stir until honey dissolves. Add lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, and jalapeño; set aside.
- Place broccoli in a food processor and pulse until rice-sized bits form. Set aside.
- Heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add the bell pepper strips and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the pork pieces and cook, stirring, for 2-4 minutes, or until the pork is lightly browned.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and half of the shallot and cook, stirring, for one minute. Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ cup cilantro, and ½ cup sauce. Transfer to a heat-safe bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining ½ tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rice and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4-6 minutes.
- While the broccoli cooks, toss the remaining shallot and cilantro with the carrot and cucumber.
- Place ¼ of the broccoli rice on each of two plates. Top with ¼ of pork mixture ¼ of the cilantro mixture. Drizzle with up to 1 ½ tablespoons dressing and serve.
- Package remaining stir-fry, broccoli rice, vegetables, and sauce in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow. Refrigerate until needed. (If you’d like the keep the vegetables crunchy, package them separately and add to the stir-fry after reheating.)
*Don’t like cilantro? Use a mix of mint and parsley.