Portobello Mushroom & Sweet Pepper Fajitas with Chicken Strips
Active Time: 40 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee, divided
- 1 chicken breast, 6 ounces
- 3 Portobello mushrooms, cut into ½'' thick long slices
- 2 bell peppers, seeds removed, cut into ½'' thick long slices
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced into half-moons 1/4'' thick
- Pinch fine sea salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 medium/large or 6 small organic corn tortillas
- 3 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced
- 1/4 - 3/4 cup salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and have a small baking dish available.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Rub chicken breast with sea salt and pepper. Sear the chicken by placing in hot skillet and cooking for 1 minute on each side.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 10 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is fully cooked (no pink in the center). Once cooled enough to handle, slice into thin strips.
- While the chicken is baking, heat another 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee over medium heat in the same skillet. Add onions and cumin and sauté until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add peppers and sauté another 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, a pinch of sea salt and pepper, and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas, wrapped in foil, in the oven during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking.
- To plate, fill each warm tortilla with shredded romaine lettuce, vegetable mix, sliced chicken, avocado, and salsa.