Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 10-12 minutes / Total Time: 40-42 minutes
Makes 32 cookies
Nutrition Corner: Arrowroot Flour/Starch
Arrowroot can be found in the bulk section of health food stores, usually with the herbs and spices, or in the baking section on the shelf. Arrowroot is easily digested and is used as a gluten-free thickening agent in sauces, soups, and baked items.
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) grass-fed unsalted butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup arrowroot flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (we love Lilly's no-sugar added brand)
*Make your own pumpkin pie spice, if desired:
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk together butter, egg, maple syrup, vanilla, and pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Add sugar, the three flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice to a separate bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until well combined.
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough in your hands, forming a small ball. Place on prepared baking sheet and gently flatten with your fingers.
- Continue with the remaining dough, placing cookies close together but not touching when flattened.
- Alternate cookie sheets in the oven so only one is in at a time on the middle rack.
- Bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Start checking after 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely (transfer to a cooling rack if you have one).
- Store 16 cookies in an airtight container to have this week, and freeze 12 for next week (enjoy straight from the freezer or heat up in the oven or microwave). Enjoy two per serving (you will have leftovers to share!)