Active Time: 20 minutes / Freeze Time: 4 hours, divided
Makes 6 servings
- 2 cans full-fat coconut milk (do not shake: use the thick cream at the top and transfer the remaining coconut water to a mason jar. Store in the fridge for use Day 1)
- 2 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, to decorate (about 1 tablespoon per serving)
- Ice cube trays
- Combine maple syrup, vanilla extract, and half (1 can) of the coconut milk (just the cream!) in a small saucepan over medium heat and whisk to combine. Simmer for a few minutes, until the mixture is bubbling slightly.
- Meanwhile, stir together the other can of the coconut milk (just the cream!) and the arrowroot starch in a small bowl. When the mixture in the saucepan is bubbling, add the arrowroot coconut mixture all at once and whisk constantly for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture suddenly starts to thicken. Do not let it boil though!
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from the heat, add in raspberries, carefully transfer to a blender and blend until completely smooth. If the mixture is still warm, let it cool to room temperature. Then, pour into ice cube trays and put in the freezer for 2 hours*.
- Transfer ice cream cubes into a food processor and blend for 30 seconds or so. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Remove from freezer and let sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. Add crushed pistachios to serve.
*If you have an ice cream maker and would like to use it, simply pour mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to your machines instructions. Skip the ice cube trays and step 4.