Red Lentil Coconut Curry with Cauliflower Rice
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 35-40 minutes / Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- ½ tablespoon peeled and grated ginger, from about a ½-1” piece
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ½ cup dried split red lentils, soaked overnight if possible drained and rinsed
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 3/4 cup water, plus more as necessary
- 1 small head cauliflower, (about 1 lb.) cored and broken into florets
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted cashews*
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt, dairy or non-dairy are both fine (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves (optional)
- lemon wedges, for serving
*To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the ginger and the next 3 ingredients (through curry powder). Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, coconut milk, ¼ teaspoon salt, and water to the saucepan. Stir to combine well and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. If the lentils look like they’re too dry, add up to ½ cup water; you want a saucy, but not too runny, consistency.
- While the lentils cook, place the cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Add ½ tablespoon coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When melted and shimmering, add the cumin seeds—have a lid ready, as they may pop and spit. Cook, shaking the pan, for 30 seconds.
- Add the cauliflower rice and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, or until the cauliflower is heated through but still has some bite to it.
- Divide the cauliflower rice evenly between two bowls, and top each with half of the lentil curry. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cashews. Dollop with 1 tablespoon yogurt and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cilantro, if using. Serve with lemon wedges.