Rice Pudding with Honey, Nuts, and Dried Fruit
Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 45 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour, plus overnight soaking of the rice
Makes 6 servings--Dessert for 2 for Days 1, 3, and 6
- 1 ½ cups brown basmati rice, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup almond or cashew milk, plus more to taste
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon dried ginger OR ½ teaspoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional, but fabulous)
- pinch of cloves
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional, but also fabulous)
- 1 egg (optional, but recommended) *
- ¾ cup golden raisins, chopped dried apples, tart cherries, dried mango, or a mix
- honey for drizzling
- 6 tablespoons chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, or a mixture, toasted**
- In a medium saucepan, bring rice, salt, and water to a boil. Cook, covered, 20-25 minutes, or until rice is fully tender (begin checking at 15 minutes). Drain any excess water (a fine mesh strainer is the best tool for this).
- If using, break the egg into a medium bowl and lightly beat. Set aside. In a large saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine almond and coconut milks, coconut sugar, and spices, and whisk well. Cook, whisking constantly, about 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is slightly thickened and creamy. Turn off the heat.
- Slowly ladle ½ cup milk mixture into the bowl with the egg, whisking constantly. When fully combined, whisk the egg mixture into the saucepan with the milk mixture and return to a low heat. Add the rice and dried fruit and cook, stirring constantly until fully combined and warmed through, about 3 minutes. If you’d like a thinner pudding, add additional almond milk by the tablespoon until desired consistency.
- Divide rice pudding evenly into 6 small, airtight containers. Top each with a drizzle of honey and 1 tablespoon of nuts. Store in the refrigerator until needed.
*You can omit the egg, but the pudding will not be as creamy or thick.
**To toast nuts, place in a small skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring frequently, until nuts are golden brown and you can smell them. Watch carefully, as nuts burn easily!