Active Time: 10 minutes / Cook Time: 40-60 minutes
Makes roasted beets for the week
Nutrition Corner: Beets
Beets contain unique phytonutrients called betalains, which are responsible for their deep purple or golden color. Research has shown that betalains have antioxidant, antiinflammatory, and anticarcinogenic potential. Beets also enhance detoxification pathways in our body.
- The only ingredient needed for this recipe is beets! Decide which recipes you are making and buy the number of beets indicated.
- Cacao Beet Smoothie (Breakfast): 2-3 small or 1 medium/large beets
- Roasted Beets & Olive Oil (Snack): 4 small or 2 medium/large beets
- Pizza Night! Beet, Feta, & Arugula (Dinner): 1 medium beet
- Beet Hummus Plate (Dinner): 1 small beet
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the tops and ends off of each beet and scrub under running water. Do not dry. Wrap 3-4 small beets together in aluminum foil (if your beets are large, wrap them individually).. Place each aluminum foil package on a baking sheet and bake for 40-60 minutes. Check your beets every 20 minutes, small beets will cook faster than large beets. The beets are done when they are fork tender. If beets look dry before they are tender, spoon a few drops of water onto them before returning to the oven. Once tender, let cool completely, remove from foil, and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for use this week.