Roasted Chicken, Potatoes, & Asparagus
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 35-45 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour
Makes 4 servings, including tomorrow’s lunch salad
- ½ tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium-large yellow potatoes, (about ½ lb.) such as Yukon Gold, quartered
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, about 1 ¼ lbs. total
- 1 bunch asparagus, about 1 lb., tough bottom parts of stalks removed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- Lemon wedges, for serving, if desired
- For tomorrow’s salad:
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 carrot, shredded or julienned
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Basil Vinaigrette (If you did not make this on Prep Day, you can find the recipe in the Other tab.)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the chicken with 1 teaspoon of the oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place on the sheet pan skin-side up and roast for 10 minutes.
- In the same bowl, toss the potatoes with ¼ tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add to the sheet pan with the chicken and roast for 15 minutes.
- Using the large bowl again, toss the asparagus with remaining ¼ tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add to the baking sheet with the chicken and potatoes, keeping everything in a single layer. Roast 10 minutes.
- Check the potatoes and asparagus; if they are cooked through, remove to a plate and keep warm while the chicken continues to roast, up to 10-15 minutes more (an instant read thermometer should register between 165° and 175° F when inserted in the thickest part of the meat; do not touch bone).
- Transfer 1 chicken thigh, half of the potatoes, and ¼ of the asparagus to each of two plates. Sprinkle each evenly with 1 tablespoon of the tarragon and chives, and serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
- For tomorrow’s lunch: remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Shred or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Chop remaining asparagus into 1 ½” lengths.
- Place 2 cups of mixed greens and half of the carrots into each of 2 airtight containers. Evenly divide the chicken and asparagus between them, and sprinkle each with ½ tablespoon tarragon and chives. Package vinaigrette separately so the salads do not get soggy. Refrigerate until needed for lunches.