Roasted Chicken Thighs with Green Cabbage and Apple Slaw
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Makes 2 servings
Nutrition Corner: Cabbage
Cabbage is part of the cruciferous vegetable family and contains health promoting sulfur containing compounds. Cabbage has been heavily studied and has been shown to provide cardiovascular and cancer protection as well as a decreased risk for type 2 diabetes. Other cruciferous vegetables include arugula, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, radish, turnip, and watercress.
- For the chicken:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, about 8 oz. total
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- For the Cabbage and Apple Slaw:
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, preferably grainy
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small green cabbage, cored, quartered, and very thinly sliced (about 4-5 cups) (reserve remaining cabbage for Day 7)
- 1 small apple, unpeeled, cored, and julienned or diced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallot, from one small
- ¼ cup sliced OR slivered almonds, toasted (optional)*
*To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the coconut oil, chicken, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place skin-side up on the baking sheet and roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the thighs reach a temperature of at least 165°F when an instantread thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, without touching bone.
- While the chicken roasts, in a large bowl combine the mustard, the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and next five ingredients (through olive oil). Whisk well to emulsify.
- Add the cabbage, apple, and shallot to the vinaigrette in the bowl. Toss well to combine and let sit until the chicken is almost done.
- About 5 minutes before the chicken is done, toss the cabbage mixture again and sprinkle with the almonds, if using.
- Divide the chicken thighs and cabbage and apple slaw between two plates, and serve.