Roasted Cod with Mediterranean-style Cabbage Slaw
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 15-20 minutes / Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition Corner: Cabbage
Cabbage is part of the cruciferous vegetable family and contains health promoting sulfur containing compounds. Cabbage has been heavily studied and has been shown to provide cardiovascular and cancer protection as well as a decreased risk for type 2 diabetes. Other cruciferous vegetables include arugula, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, radish, turnip, and watercress.
- 4 center cut cod fillets, 5 oz. each
- fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- Mediterranean-style Cabbage Slaw:
- ½ small head Savoy Cabbage (place other half in fridge, tightly wrapped, to use on Wednesday)
- 4 radishes, julienned
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ large red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, julienned (reserve other half to use on Wednesday)
- ½ cup parsley, leaves and tender stems only, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup dry roasted almonds, crushed
- ½ cup mint, stemmed, roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Optional garnish: 1-2 tablespoons sprouts
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, pat cod dry, place on baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set aside while oven heats.
- Core the cabbage (cut out tough stem in the center), cut into 4 wedges, and thinly slice. Place in a large bowl. Add radishes, scallions, bell peppers, parsley, mint, and almonds; toss lightly.
- Place cod in oven and bake 15-20 minutes, or until it flakes easily.
- While cod bakes, whisk together dressing ingredients: lemon zest and juice through red pepper flakes. Set aside half of the slaw and half of the dressing separately for tomorrow’s lunch (wait to dress until just before eating or the slaw can get soggy). Toss the rest of the dressing and slaw together.
- When the cod is cooked through, serve each of two fillets with ¼ of the dressed coleslaw, and package the remaining 2 servings for lunch tomorrow. Add ¼ avocado slices to each lunch portion.
- Garnish with sprouts, if desired.