Roasted Vegetable Salad with Quinoa
Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 small butternut squash, about 2 lbs.
- 1 small red onion, cut into 8 wedges, each with a piece of the root intact
- 1 large red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, cut into ½” pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, skin on and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 wedges of cabbage left from Day 3, cored and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon ghee, melted, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 1 lemon, quartered, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel the squash and cut the neck away from the rounded end. Seed the squash and wrap the seeded section tightly; refrigerate until Day 6 breakfast. Cut the neck into ½” pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss squash, onion, bell pepper, garlic, and cabbage with ghee.
- Add thyme and ¾ teaspoon salt, toss again. Tumble onto the baking sheet and spread vegetables into a single layer (place garlic cut-side down). Roast 20-25 minutes or until squash is tender, stirring once. (Start checking at 15 minutes.)
- Add the kidney beans and remaining teaspoon ghee to the squash mixture and stir. Roast 5 minutes more, or until beans are hot.
- While the vegetables roast, place quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, or until water is almost fully absorbed. Turn off the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are done.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of its skins, mix in with vegetables and toss the roasted vegetables with the arugula.
- Per person, place ¼ of the quinoa on a plate and top with ¼ of the vegetables. Serve with a lemon wedge.
- Package remaining quinoa and vegetables in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow