Sautéed Apple Dessert Pizza
Active Time: 35 minutes / Requires prep in the AM, or the night before
Makes 6 servings
- 1 ½ cups full-fat unsweetened goat, sheep, or cow yogurt
- ½ tablespoon ghee
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch fine sea salt
- 1 cup dry roasted almonds
- 7-11 dates, depending on size, pitted and soaked in warm water for 5 minutes
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
On Prep Day or the night before making the recipe:
- Line a large, deep bowl with double layered cheesecloth and pour the yogurt on top. Gather the edges of the cheesecloth together. You want to tie the edges together and around a knife or fork, and suspend the yogurt across the bowl so that the bottom of the cheesecloth is not touching the bottom of the bowl, and has room to drain. Set this in the fridge to drain overnight or all day. Discard liquid that has drained out.
- (Optional, this step can also be done on the day of) To make the crust, add almonds to a food processor and pulse into small bits. Add dates and process until a sticky dough forms. Using clean hands, mold dough into the bottom of a 9” round pie tin and place in the fridge until needed.
On the day of:
- Heat ghee in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. When melted, add the apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender but not mushy and the mixture is syrupy but not “liquidy,” about 8-10 minutes. You should be able to run your spoon across the bottom of the pan and leave a clear space that the syrup doesn’t rush to fill in. If necessary, use a slotted spoon to remove the apples and cook the remaining liquid in the pan until it is the right consistency. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer your strained, thickened yogurt into a small mixing bowl. Add honey and vanilla and stir together until well combined.
- Remove your crust from the fridge and spoon on a layer of yogurt, evenly coating the entire crust.
- Top with the cooled apple mixture and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To serve, slice into 6 pieces (just like you would a pizza). Store the remaining slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator, to have throughout the week.