Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 15-20 minutes / Total Time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 3 teaspoons ghee
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup diced peeled apple, plus additional for serving
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (NOT quick oats)
- 1 ¾ cups water
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt ghee in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onions are softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add apples and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Add oats, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until oats begin to smell nutty and are slightly browned, stirring often, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add water to oat mixture (it will hiss and spit!), bring to a boil, and cook until oats have absorbed the water and are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Top with black pepper and remaining diced apple, if desired, and serve.