Scallops with Garlicky Spinach and White Beans
Active Time: 25-30 minutes / Cook Time: 20 minutes / Total Time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 2 servings, with leftover spinach and beans for lunch
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced into thin halfmoons
- 15 oz. baby spinach, or 2 large bunches
- large leaf spinach, stemmed and washed well
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 (15 oz.) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ground black pepper for serving (optional)
- extra virgin olive oil for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, 5-7 minutes. Add spinach and garlic and use tongs to combine with the onions. When the spinach is just wilted, stir in the beans and salt. Add a splash of water if the pan is dry and cook 5-7 minutes, or until beans are warmed through. Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat remaining coconut oil in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the scallops with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook, undisturbed, 2-3 minutes, flip and repeat. Scallops should be just translucent in the middle. Stir lemon juice into spinach.
- Place 1/4 spinach mixture on each of two plates. Top with five scallops per person. Add freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil to each serving, if desired.
- 4. Use the other half of the spinach mixture to make tomorrow’s lunch, according to your prep and cook schedule.