Seared Rib-Eye Steaks with Creamy Spinach
Active Time: 40-45 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 45-50 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus extra steak for lunch tomorrow
- For the Spinach:
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed (but intact)
- 1 lb. spinach, preferably NOT baby spinach, stemmed, washed well and spun mostly dry— some water clinging is okay
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the Steak:
- 1 tablespoon ghee, divided
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ lb. bone-in rib-eye steak
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden, about 15 minutes. Add water by the tablespoon if onions seem to be browning too quickly.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and use tongs to turn it until it is mostly wilted.
- Add the cream cheese, nutmeg, and milk, and cook, stirring constantly, until the cream cheese has melted and a sauce has formed, about 4 minutes. Add salt and pepper, stir, and remove from the heat.
- Heat a cast iron or other sturdy skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the steak on both sides evenly with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add 1 teaspoon ghee to the pan and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the steak and cook, undisturbed, for 4-6 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Flip steak and cook another 2-5 minutes, depending on desired doneness.
- Turn the steak on its sides for a few seconds per side so that the edges are also browned.
- Add the remaining ghee and tilt the pan so the ghee pools on one side. Cook the steak another 1-2 minutes, basting with the ghee.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest while you reheat the spinach over low for 5-7 minutes.
- Cut the steak off the bone (if necessary) and slice into ¼” thick slices. Serve ¼ of the steak slices per person for dinner tonight with half of the creamy spinach per person.
- The remaining steak will be used for lunch tomorrow. If you would like to prepare and package lunch tonight, refer to the Steak Salad recipe in the Lunch section of your recipe document.