Seared Scallops & Brussels Sprouts
Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: 12-15 minutes / Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ghee, divided
- ½ lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved, quartered if large
- ½ cup water
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 12 sea scallops, patted dry*
- zest of a lemon lemon, quartered
*Don’t like scallops? You can make this same recipe with ½ lb. cod or chicken breast. Cooking times will vary.
- Heat ½ tablespoon ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. When the ghee is shimmering, add Brussels sprouts cut-sides down. Cook, undisturbed, for 3-4 minutes, or until the bottoms are browned.
- Flip the sprouts, add water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper, cover and cook 6-8 minutes, or until sprouts are tender but still have some bite to them. Remove the lid and cook another 2-3 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer sprouts to a bowl, toss with the lemon zest, and cover to keep warm.
- Wipe out the skillet. Add 2 teaspoons of ghee and heat over medium-high.
- Pat the scallops dry again, sprinkle evenly with the remaining salt and pepper, and add to the skillet. Cook, undisturbed, 2-3 minutes or until the scallops are browned on the bottom and release easily.
- Flip scallops and cook another 2-3 minutes, watching carefully so that they do not overcook. Reduce the heat to low. Transfer the scallops to two plates, divide the Brussels sprouts evenly between the plates, and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 ½ teaspoons ghee to the skillet, along with the juice of half of the lemon (two of the wedges). Stir together briefly, scraping up any browned bits in the pan, and then spoon evenly over the scallops and Brussels sprouts. Serve with the remaining lemon wedges.