Seared Skirt Steak with Broccoli Slaw
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 6-8 minutes / Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves 2, with leftover broccoli slaw
- 1 lb. broccoli 2 carrots, julienned or peeled into short ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 of a small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons refined coconut oil
- 1/2 lb. skirt steak
- pinch fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- Let skirt steak sit on the counter while you make the broccoli slaw. Cut broccoli florets from the stem. Chop them into 1/4- 1/2” pieces. Peel the tough outer skin from the stem and either julienne or grate using the grating disk in a food processor.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, rice vinegar, honey, 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt, and ground black pepper to taste. Add broccoli, carrot, onion, cranberries, and sunflower seeds and toss to combine.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high. Pat skirt steak dry with paper towels, and sprinkle both sides evenly with salt and pepper.
- Melt oil in pan and when it is shimmering, add the skirt steak. Cook 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium, or until desired doneness. Let rest at least 5 minutes before cutting.
- Serve 1/4 of broccoli slaw and half of steak per person. Store remaining slaw in 2 to-go containers in the fridge for a snack tomorrow.