Spaghetti Squash with Beef and Mushroom Meatballs and Tomato Pesto
Active Time: 45 minutes / Cook Time: 50 minutes / Total Time: 55 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus roasted squash seeds for a snack
- 1 small spaghetti squash (the smallest you can find, preferably about 1 lb.), halved lengthwise, seeds removed and set aside
- 1 ½ tablespoon ghee, divided
- 8 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ lb. ground beef
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup Tomato Pesto, reserved from Day 2
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Squash Seed Snack:
- Seeds from 1 small spaghetti squash (above), rinsed to remove any pulp, and patted dry with paper towel
- ½-1 teaspoon coconut oil, melted (1/2 teaspoon for each ½ cup of seeds)
- Dried rosemary, chili powder, or other seasoning of choice (optional)
- Sea salt
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, heat the coconut oil over medium*. Add the onion, bell pepper, squash, and jalapeño and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, 10-12 minutes.Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Place squash cut-sides down on parchment and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until squash is tender but not mushy. Use a fork to scrape squash strands into a large bowl, toss with pesto, and cover to keep warm if the meatballs are not done. Reduce heat to 300°F if you are going to make the roasted seed snack outlined in step 8.
- While the squash roasts, heat ½ tablespoon ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, stir, and cook without disturbing for 1-2 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Stir and repeat.
- Lower the heat to medium, add ¼ teaspoon salt and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and oregano, cook one minute. Remove from the heat and let cool 5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef, ¼ teaspoon salt, and black pepper to a medium bowl. Scrape in the mushroom mixture (reserve the skillet) and use your hands to gently combine. Scoop 1 ½ tablespoons of beef mixture into your palm and roll into a meatball shape. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Heat remaining tablespoon ghee over medium. Add meatballs to the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through.
- Divide squash mixture and meatballs evenly between two plates, drizzle with oil, and serve.
- To make roasted seeds snack for tomorrow: In a small bowl, toss seeds with coconut oil and a pinch or two each of dried rosemary and salt. Spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. You may want to stir the seeds after 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.