Spicy-as-You-Want-It Salad for Breakfast
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 6-8 minutes / Total Time: 30-35 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 4 cups mixed sturdy greens (baby kale, baby spinach, escarole, baby Swiss chard, arugula, etc.)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallions
- small pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons feta or goat cheese
- ¼ cup diced cured chorizo (use chorizo from Day 1 dinner last week)
- 2 teaspoons ghee
- 2 eggs
- small pinch of fine sea salt
- juice of half a lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss together the greens, zucchini, scallions, and a small pinch of salt. Divide onto two plates and sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Set aside.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add chorizo and ghee. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo is sizzling lightly and has given off some of the paprika and the butter has a reddish tinge, about 3-4 minutes. Leaving the skillet on the heat, use a slotted spoon to transfer chorizo to a paper towel to drain.
- Crack eggs into the skillet, sprinkle with a small pinch of salt, and cook 1 ½-2 minutes, or until the bottom is set and the whites on the top are no longer running if you tilt the pan. Use a spatula to gently flip the eggs. Cook 1-2 minutes or to desired doneness; if you leave the yolk runny, it makes a delicious “dressing” for the salad.
- While the eggs are cooking, evenly sprinkle the chorizo on the salads and drizzle the greens with lemon juice. Place a cooked egg on top of each salad and add freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle with hot sauce to taste and serve.