Spring Rolls with tangy coconut dipping sauce
Active Time: 10 minutes
Makes roll fillings for the week, and 4 spring rolls (2 servings)
- Filling: (Prep on Prep Day)
- 4 large carrots
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 3 red or orange bell peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh mint
- 4 scallions
- Dipping Sauce: (Make on Prep Day)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquid
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh ginger (or roughly chopped if using a processor)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (or whole, peeled, if using a processor)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Rolls: (Make 4 rolls on Prep Day, Day 2, and Day 4)
- 4 sheet rice paper spring roll wraps (8 to 10 inches in diameter)
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 heaping cup arugula, roughly chopped
- Prep your veggies: chop carrots, cucumbers, and bell peppers into thin matchsticks. Roughly chop cilantro and mint to equal ½ cup each. Chop scallions (white and pale green parts) into thin rounds. Store veggies in an airtight container in the fridge, to use throughout the week.
- Make the dipping sauce: add ingredients to a mason jar or mini food processor and shake vigorously or blend until well combined. Store in the fridge.
- To make the rolls, fill a 9” baking round with warm water. Place one rice paper in the water and let it rest for 10 seconds. The sheet should soften, put not be super floppy.
- Place the paper on work surface and use your hands to massage the water into the paper until softened even more.
- Top the paper, in a lengthwise orientation, with a big sprinkle of arugula, a few strips of carrot, cucumber, and pepper, a sprinkle of scallion, cilantro, and mint, and 1 teaspoon sesame seeds.
- Fold over 1 long side to enclose the filling, and then fold over each short side like you would a burrito. Lastly, roll it up as tightly as you can, stretching the remaining long side around the roll to seal it. Set aside and create 3 more rolls.
- If you are making rolls the night before, wrap each roll in plastic wrap or a damp paper towel so they do not dry out or stick to each other and store in an airtight container in the fridge for tomorrow.
- To serve, enjoy 2 spring rolls, cut in half if desired, with 2 teaspoons sauce.