Squash & Quinoa Burgers with Mixed Greens
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 30 minutes / Total Time: 45 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- For the burgers:
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded, and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee, divided
- ¾ cup quinoa, soaked overnight*, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 4 packed cups lacianto or curly kale (from 1 bunch)
- Heaping 2/3 cup diced yellow onion (from 1 medium)
- Heaping 2/3 cup shredded carrots (from 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (from ½ lemon), plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce, plus more to taste
- Condiment of choice: ketchup, mustard, balsamic, hot sauce (optional)
- For the mixed greens:
- 4 large handfuls mixed greens
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 6 tablespoons Black Pepper Dressing (see the Other section if this was not made on Prep Day)
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into 12 slices
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss butternut squash cubes with oil or ghee to coat. Spread cubes in 1 layer on prepared baking sheet and roast until fork tender and starting to brown, 20-25 minutes.
- While squash cooks, bring quinoa, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until water is absorbed and the quinoa if sprouted and fluffy, about 12 minutes.
- Prepare a steamer (if you do not have a steamer simply heat ¼ cup water in a large sauté pan, add kale once steaming, cover and steam for 30 seconds. Drain well.) and steam kale until bright green, 30 seconds. Set aside and allow to cool.
- When squash is done, remove from oven and allow to cool. Lower oven to 350.
- Heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil or ghee in a fry pan over medium. Once hot, add onions and sauté until translucent, 3 minutes. Add Carrots, ginger, cumin, and garlic, and sauté an additional 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Chop cooled kale into small pieces.
- Transfer cooled squash to a food processor and process until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl add 2 cups cooked quinoa, 1 packed cup squash puree, and sautéed vegetable mixture. Mix well to fully incorporate.
- Season with remaining ¼ teaspoon sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice, and hot sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Mixture will be fairly wet, but should hold together.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Using clean hands and a large spoon or spatula, scoop a generous amount (about ¼ of the mix) of burger mixture into one hand. Gently form into a ball. Place on the prepared baking tray and press down slightly to form a burger shape. Repeat until you have 4 burgers.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes (Optional: Broil for the last 5 minutes).
- During the last 5 minutes of the burgers baking, toss 2 large handfuls mixed greens, 8 tomatoes (each sliced in half), and 3 tablespoons dressing together in a mixing bowl until evenly coated with dressing. Place in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, enjoy 1 burger topped with condiment of choice, if using, and ½ of the salad topped with 4 avocado slices.
- To package lunch tomorrow, place remaining burgers in separate to go containers. Top with condiment, and a small salad with dressing on the side.
*Soak quinoa in 2 cups warm water in a bowl overnight