Stir-fry Vegetables over Scallion-Garlic Brown Rice
Active Time: 35-40 minutes / Cook Time: 30-35 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes (plus overnight soaking for the brown rice)
Makes 4 servings
- 2 ½ tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 bunch scallions, 4 cut into 1” pieces, the rest sliced into ¼” pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced, divided
- 1 cup brown rice, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz.) can coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into strips
- 2 carrots, cut on the diagonal into thin 2” long pieces
- 1 head broccoli, head cut into florets and stem trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- Heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ¼” pieces of scallion and half of minced garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add brown rice, stir to combine. Mix coconut milk with enough water to equal 2 cups and pour over rice mixture; add ¼ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is tender, 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and leave lid on pan.
- While rice cooks, prepare remaining vegetables for stir-fry and whisk together tamari and hot sauce. Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons coconut oil. When shimmering, add ginger, 1” scallion pieces, and remaining garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and broccoli stems. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and broccoli florets, cook, stirring constantly, for 3-5 minutes or until all of the vegetables are crisp tender. Turn off the heat and stir in tamari mixture.
- Fluff rice with a fork and add ¾ cup to each plate. Top each serving with ¼ of the stir-fry vegetables and enjoy.
- Package up the remaining rice and vegetables for lunch tomorrow.