Stuffed Breakfast Peppers
Active Time: 20 minutes / Cook Time: 40 minutes / Total Time: 60 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 2 large bell peppers, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and core removed (the stems can stay)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil
- ¼ yellow onion, diced
- 1 small summer squash, diced
- ½ pint baby Portobello or button mushrooms, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- ¼ teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a small baking tray with all natural parchment paper.
- Heat ghee or coconut oil over medium heat. Once hot, add onions and sauté, 4 minutes.
- Add squash and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add garlic during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle on sea salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, if using. Stir to incorporate.
- Divide the veggie filling between the 4 bell peppers and top with beaten eggs.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until eggs are cooked. Remove from oven and top with basil and avocado slices.