Active Time: 30 minutes
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Corner: Olive Oil Uses
Because olive oil has a low smoke point, it easily oxidizes (goes bad) when exposed to heat. Consuming damaged oils has negative effects on our health. For this reason, olive oil is perfect in salad dressings and cold soups, but should not be heated.
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium summer squash, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup olive oil
- Working in batches, add half of all ingredients except olive oil in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. With each batch, slowly add olive oil with the motor running until smooth.
- Store 4 servings in separate containers in the fridge, for lunch Days 1 and 3, and 2 servings in separate containers in the freezer for lunch on Day 7.