Summer Vegetable Sauté with Crunchy Green Salad
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 20-25 minutes / Total Time: 40-45 minutes
Serves 2, with leftovers for lunch
Chef’s Tip: Save some time by preparing the sauté vegetables as the ones before them cook. For example, while the onion softens, work on the bell peppers; while the bell peppers cook, work on the corn, etc. While the sauté is finishing up in the pan, you can be working on the salad.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/2 lb. colorful baby bell peppers, stemmed, quartered, and seeded
- 4 ears of corn, kernels sliced off the cobs
- 1/2 lb. zucchini and/or summer squash, halved and cut into 1” half-moons
- 1 lb. heirloom tomatoes, cored and chopped OR 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded basil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- For the Crunchy Green Salad:
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2” half-moons
- 1/4 lb. green beans, stems trimmed and cut into 1” pieces
- 4 radishes and/or salad turnips, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Pesto Vinaigrette
- Heat ghee in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds.
- Add bell peppers and stir; cook 4 minutes. Add corn and zucchini and cook, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine, reduce heat to low, and cook until tomatoes have given up some of their juice but still hold their shape, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in herbs, reserving some to sprinkle on top.
- Combine salad vegetables. Place 1/4 of the vegetable sauté and 1/4 of the salad on each of two plates. Drizzle the salads with 1 tablespoon each of vinaigrette. Serve.
- Package remaining sauté and salad in airtight containers for lunch tomorrow. To keep the greens from getting soggy, place the vinaigrette on the bottom of the salad container, top with the crunchier vegetables before adding the lettuce, and toss just before eating, or store the vinaigrette separately.