Active Time: 25 minutes / Cook Time: none / Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes 2 servings, plus leftover salsa
- For the salsa:
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 15-oz. can white shoe-peg corn, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped (about 1 small)
- 1 bunch minus
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes (approx 2 T.)
- Sprinkle of sea salt
- For the Salad:
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- ¼ cup toasted pepitas* (hulled pumpkin seeds)
- For the Chili-Lime Vinaigrette: **
- 2 tablespoons lime juice from 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar (can substitute apple cider vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a large bowl, and toss gently. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula and Romaine. Divide greens onto two plates.
- Top each pile of greens with 1 cup salsa, half of the chopped avocado, 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and 2 tablespoons pepitas.
- Place all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl or glass jar with a lid and whisk or shake to combine.
- Drizzle 2 ½ tablespoons dressing over each salad. Serve.
- Store leftover salsa in an airtight container in the fridge. Use with breakfast Day 6 and for snacking.
*To toast nuts and seeds, place them in a dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden and give off a nutty smell. Watch them carefully: nuts go from toasted to charcoal in no time flat!
**This is a tangy vinaigrette to cut through the richness of the avocado, cheese, and beans. If you’d like a little less tang, add another tablespoon of olive oil.