Tomato-Basil Soup with Cheesy Quesadillas
Active Time: 30 minutes / Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes / Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- For the soup:
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 4 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes, drained and juices reserved
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, lightly packed, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth or water, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- For the quesadillas:
- 3 teaspoons ghee
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 ½ cups Italian blend cheese
- 1 handful baby spinach, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat a 9 x 13” baking dish with the coconut oil and add the tomatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt, and ¾ teaspoon pepper. Roast 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, melt ghee over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, ¾ teaspoon pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the onions start to brown.
- Add the reserved tomato juice and the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the juices from the baking dish. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the tomato juices are slightly reduced, 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the solids are not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add 3 cups of the basil leaves and 3 cups of the broth. Return the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, make the quesadillas: in a small bowl, toss together the cheese and spinach. Sprinkle evenly on 6 tortillas and top with remaining 6 tortillas.
- Heat 1 teaspoon ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add two quesadillas; if they don't fit well just cook one at a time. Cook 1-2 minutes per side, or until the tortilla is golden brown in spots and the cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining ghee and quesadillas.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender. (Be careful; it’s hot!) Return the soup to the pot and bring to a simmer. Taste for seasoning and add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, if desired.
- If a thinner soup is desired, stir in the remaining broth and cook 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. Finely chop the remaining cup of basil and stir it into the soup.
- Allow to cool. Store soup in a sealable container in the fridge. Wrap or bag quesadillas individually and store in the fridge.
- Serve about 2 cups of soup per person, each serving drizzled with ½ tablespoon olive oil, along with a quesadilla per person for lunches this week.