Turkey Avocado Burger with Eggplant Fries & horseradish honey mustard
Active Time: 35 minutes / Cook Time: 20-25 minutes / Total Time: 35-40 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- ½ lb ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 2 tablespoons very finely chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-4 thick slices of heirloom tomato
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced
- 1 small eggplant (12 oz.-1 lb.)
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch each fine sea salt and ground black pepper
Horseradish Honey Mustard:
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons raw honey (liquid)
- ½ tablespoon horseradish, more to taste if desired
- Pinch cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper
- Preheat grill* to medium. Preheat oven to 400° F. In a medium bowl, mix all of the turkey burger ingredients except tomato and avocado. Form two patties, refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Cut off top and a small slice of bottom of eggplant. Halve lengthwise and cut halves crosswise. Cut quarters into 1” thick slices.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a shallow bowl or pie plate, mix almond meal, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. In another bowl, beat egg.
- Dip eggplant fries into egg, let excess run off, and then dredge in almond mixture. Place on baking sheet at least ½” apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggplant begins to brown and the fries are slightly crispy on the outside. When done, sprinkle with salt and pepper while hot.
- While the eggplant bakes, make horseradish honey mustard by mixing together all ingredients in a small bowl. Set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- While the eggplant bakes, grill turkey burgers: hold a paper towel rubbed in coconut oil with tongs and use to oil grill grates. Grill turkey burgers 6-8 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
- To serve, garnish two plates with any leftover salad greens, place one burger on top of each pile of greens, and top with tomato and avocado slices. Serve with fries and a side of horseradish honey mustard.
*Burgers can be baked at 400° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. (Turkey burgers should be cooked to a minimum of 165° F.)