Turkey Meatloaf with Sautéed Cabbage and Apples
Active Time: 45-50 minutes / Cook Time: 70-80 minutes / Total Time: 90 minutes
Makes 4 servings, plus extra meatloaf for the freezer
Make sure you read through the recipe first, as you can save yourself some time by finding pockets of time for ingredient prep while other ingredients are moving ahead without needing much attention.
- For the meatloaf:
- 2 tablespoons ghee, divided
- 1 ½ cups diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, very finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, very finely diced
- 1 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- For the cabbage and apples:
- ½ tablespoon ghee
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced into thin half-moons
- savoy cabbage remaining from Day 2 OR 1 small head cabbage (about 1 ½-2 lbs.)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 small apples, halved, cored, and sliced into 8 wedges each
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened, about 8- 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Wipe out the skillet to use with the cabbage.
- While the vegetables cook, add the vinegar, maple syrup, and mustard to a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook until reduced by about ½. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine turkey, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, eggs, 6 tablespoons parmesan, and thyme. Set aside.
- While the vegetables are cooling, prep the ingredients for the cabbage and apples. Core and thinly slice the cabbage.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the meat and combine well. Transfer to the baking sheet. Pat the meatloaf into a large oval about 2 inches thick. Place in oven and cook 25 minutes. Brush with glaze and cook another 30-35 minutes, or until internal temperature is 160°F, brushing with glaze every 5 minutes.
- While the meatloaf cooks, heat the ½ tablespoon ghee in the large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook 3-4 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- Add the cabbage to the onion, along with the ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Stir to combine, cover, and let cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water by the tablespoon if the pan is too dry and/or the cabbage and onion are browning.
- Add the apples, stir, cover, and cook another 10 minutes, or until the cabbage and apples are fully tender. Stir occasionally.
- When meatloaf is done, remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan, and let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Cut the meatloaf in half horizontally. Cut one half into 8 even slices. Serve 2 slices of meatloaf per person for dinner, along with ¼ of the cabbage and apples. Package remaining sliced meatloaf and cabbage mixture in two individual containers with airtight lids for lunch tomorrow.
- Tightly wrap the remaining half of the meatloaf in plastic wrap and then in foil. Label with the contents and the date, and freeze for a quick main dish on a busy night. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours, remove the wrapping (reserving the foil), place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and cover with the foil. Place in a preheated 300°F oven for 20-25 minutes, or until meatloaf is heated through, removing the foil for the last 5 minutes.